Tuesday, September 23, 2014

RIP Tucker

Two years and a little over a month ago, I came to college. If you would have asked me then if I thought frats and sororities were stupid, I would have screamed hell yeah. I'm a little bit more hesitate these days.

Yesterday, Clemson received the awful news that one of our very own student's body was found in the near by lake. It was a very scary and mournful day. People made sure they hugged their loved ones a little longer and tears were shed even if you didn't know the kid. Because Clemson is a family. We had a family member die, and it effects all of us.

We were blessed to have supporting love from the entire student body and even surrounding school, including our rival, USC. On Tuesday, the campuses were flooded with people in orange because #OrangeforTucker. There has already been two candle lightings and a moment of silence for this kid. People care.

But then, it started to get nasty. Naturally, people got nosy. We wanted to know; Why? How? Who did it? Was it an accident? Was he drunk? Did someone kill him? Everyone's favorite scapegoat? His fraternity. 

Tucker Hipps was running with his fraternity early Monday morning. Later that morning, they noticed Tucker was not there. They began searching for him. Early afternoon, they decided to contact police. At 3:30pm, his body was found. 

Nobody knows what happened, not yet at least. But it seems like everyone has their beliefs. So, let me tell you what I know.

My boyfriend is in a fraternity. I used to defend him saying things like, "He's not really fratty!" But the truth of the matter is, every single fraternity brother that I know, LOVES his brothers with all his heart. Whether they are the pledges, NIBs, or the president, their bond is strong. They look after each other. They care for one another. Am I saying that every single guy in a fraternity is an amazing guy? Hell no. Just like everywhere else, they are bad and stupid people. But am I proud of my boyfriend and his "brothers"? Hell. Yes.

I'm not saying the Tucker's fraternity is innocent, because I honestly have no earthly idea. All I'm saying is that they deserve to be given a chance. After all, "innocent until proven guilty" right? And Clemson's greek system as a whole does not deserve to be put to shame or blamed for this. Earlier tonight, I saw a facebook post that said "Something is rotten in the Clemson Greek scene." You, sir, are mistaken. For it was not "Clemson Greek" that killed Tucker Hipps. How about we all stop jumping to conclusions about this and mourn the loss of our fellow tiger!

No comments:

Post a Comment