Thursday, March 6, 2014

Now Is The Time

So I was driving home from work yesterday and I was talking to Matt on the phone (which is apparently a no-no in Charlotte... oops). We were planning out our next couple of weeks/weekends and figuring out when we were gonna see each other and who is gonna visit who when and all that good stuff when I realized, we have a busy schedule coming up!

While a packed schedule overwhelms a lot of people, it gets me really excited! I love having something to look forward to at the end of a long, hard week. For example, Matt is coming up to Charlotte this weekend, woooohoooo! AND I get the opportunity to go down to Clemson next week for a special graphics major day where I'll get to be on the other side of the interviewing process! And then in two weekends, Matt and I are meeting his parents in Raleigh for the NCAA tournament. (GO DUKE) And the next weekend, I'm headed to Edisto Island for a church women's retreat! I AM SO EXCITED! It's like four of my favorite things; Matt, Clemson, basketball, and the beach! 

Planning all of these fun adventures things or even just a chill weekend with Matt gives me something to look forward to when I'm sitting in my office cubicle, trying to convince myself that I don't have too much longer till 5pm, and that it's impossible to actually die of boredom (sometimes I believe myself, sometimes I don't). And I love being able to tell my coworkers at lunch that I have a big, exciting weekend planned. After all, I want them to know I have an extremely exciting life outside of work (HA yeah right). But while looking forward to all these things are great, I still need to remember my life in the present.

I am so quick jump forward to my future life; whether it's a weekend at the beach or when I'm married with kids. I always talk about how I'm so excited for the next phase of my life (I think that's cause I've always been the youngest). I love thinking about graduating college and getting a real job. OH, and don't even get me started on getting married (my Pinterest has my wedding planned out) and having kids. And while that's fine and dandy, I have a life right now. And I am living a pretty great one too! I go to the world's best college (maybe I'm a little bias). I actually enjoy doing my major every single day. I have this amazing opportunity to work with a company who is one of the world's leading design and printing company. I get a chance to live with my sister for the first time in over 10 years, which means I get to see my ADORABLE nephews every day. And even more than that, I get to meet my sister in a new way than I have before. I also get to spend tons of free time with friends and my boyfriend. I have all the freedom of being on my own with none of the responsibility. My life now is great!

SO, moral of the story is, I need to remember that while the future can be fun and exciting, I need to remember to be present in the now. Oh, I am just the worst at putting things off. I'll reconnect with that person when I need them in my life. I'll apologize to this person when they apologize to me. I'll pray more when I have more time. I'll become a member of my own church when I know I will be there for a while. "I'll do BLANK, when BLANK." I feel like that's all I say now. But the truth of it is, I don't have time. My life is today, this minute, right NOW.

If I'm not careful, this time in my life will slip away, never to be seen again. And if I'm not careful, I'm gonna miss out on the small, wonderful parts of my life that are going on all around me. When am I ever going to experience NOW again?!? (just in case you were wondering, the answer is never) I need to be present in my relationships NOW, not what it will be in the future. I need to be present in the Word NOW, not when I decide I have time for it or it's more convenient. I need to make the most of what I have NOW, not when I have just a little bit more. I need to be a great listener NOW. I need to be excited over the small things NOW. I need to love with all I have NOW. I need to live my life NOW.

After all, there's no other time like now! 

No comments:

Post a Comment