Monday, February 24, 2014

Our Guide to Holiness

Lately in my Life Group, we have been going through a book called "The Hole in Our Holiness" by Kevin Deyoung. It's all about how the church and christians are not only missing holiness, but always missing the strive for holiness. It's very convicting as you can imagine. 

Well last night's chapter was called "Reason for Redemption," which explained that we weren't just saved to glorify God or because He loved us (which are also true), we were saved to become holy, like Him. Now that's extremely convicting! So many of us, including myself, are so quick to become lazy in our walks just because we know we have God's grace. We tell ourselves that we don't really need to do anything because we are already forgiven. And it is such a reality shock that that is just not the case! 

One verse that Deyoung used in this chapter that really got to me was Hebrews 12:14: "Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." (NIV) Oh man! That's scary stuff right there! "Without which no one will see the Lord." Holy Canoli! Without holiness and the strive to become more like Jesus, no one gets to the Lord. 

This makes you take a look at your own life and really think to yourself, "Do I have this drive? Am I gonna be enough?" And the fact of the matter is, NO, you alone are not holy enough to be with God. But when we were asked last night how this made us feel, I was at peace.

It was so very weird and it took me a while to figure out why this wasn't bothersome to me, but I figured it out. I was/am at peace because I know that I don't have to do this on my own. If this was a journey that I had to take on my own, I would be royally screwed. But God does not make us go through this on my own. Yes, it is still going to be hard. And yes, we are going to have to fight daily for our journey to holiness. But we have a guide who has already made it to the goal. In fact, He has always been the goal. 

So no, I'm not worried. I know where I will be in the end. No, this does not give me the right to be lazy and not work towards it. But this does mean that I am not alone. 

Isaiah 41:10: "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed. for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment