Friday, January 17, 2014

Lucky Me

Let me start off by saying that my family is big, no, HUGE! There's my mom and dad (2), my siblings and I (6), their husbands and wives (4) and their kids (7). So that brings us to a grand total of, yes, 19. I truly believe that a big family like this isn't for everyone. There's always something going on, people are always screaming, someone's more than likely upset about something and it's normally so loud that you can't even hear yourself think! My boyfriend once told me that it was not relaxing spending the holidays at my house because he consistently felt like he needed a nap. HAHA I just must be used to it by now. 

Even though my family can be crazy and overwhelming at times, I wouldn't trade it for anything! And throughout this crazy mess, I, somehow, lucked out to be the luckiest rank in the family! Let me explain:

I was the youngest growing up. The baby of all six kids! When I was growing up I was so lucky that I got to spend all my time with my older siblings, which I absolutely loved. I'm not going speak for them because I'm sure having their quite sassy little sister following them around like an echo was a blast!!! I had the chance to learn things a younger age. I was always playing sports and games with my brothers and my sisters were teaching me the words to the latest new song. Not to mention, I learned all the dirty words earlier too.... just kidding Mom :) My siblings were always there for me, whether it was beating me up themselves, or protect me. My brother will also argue that I received things at a younger age (like a cell phone) and to that I won't argue. ;) Everyone likes to call me the spoiled one.

Being the baby of the family ended up truly being the best for me. My oldest sister is 11 years older than me. So growing up, she was a lot like another mom to me. When my mom was overwhelmed with all of our different schedules and routines, Christina was there to change my diaper, play with me, driving me around, or simply for advice. When I got older, I was able to meet my sister in a whole new light. She was actually my sister and my friend!! We were able to hang out, laugh and actually get to know the real people that we had lived with for so long. 

I also have a brother that is very close in age to me. Eric is 18 months older than me, almost exactly. Growing up with him, I had a best friend at all times. I like to tell people the funny story of why my parents had me. They thought they were done having kids after the fourth one (Nick was too much for them to handle ;) ) but the ever so lovely surprise of Eric ended up being quite a joy. After giving birth, my dad asked my mom who Eric was going to play with... so here I am, as Eric's playmate. And it ended up quite like that. We were inseparable as kids, we did everything together. We even shared a room for a while. I like to blame him for why I was such a tom-boy growing up and I am sure he will gladly take responsibility. I was lucky enough not only to have a great brother, but a best friend. 

So here's where a lot of people think, "So you had great OLDER siblings, but you missed out on having babies around the house while you were growing up." And this is exactly where they are wrong. I was an aunt by the time I hit high school. I would even argue that being an aunt was better than being an older sibling. I got everything they did, except for the bad parts. I got to hold, feed and play with these little bundles of joy and we never argued. I truly had the best of both worlds (not to quote Hannah Montana). I'm able to be a friend and even an example for my little ones (scary I know). I get to watch these little ones go from cute little babies to grow up to be (hopefully) amazing men and women. And on the little more selfish side, I didn't have to deal sleepless nights and lovely potty training (not yet at least). And I get to teach them things that their parents might hate me for ;) but don't worry, I'm sure the favor will be returned when I have kids. 

As for my "in-laws," I think I hit the jackpot on this one. Most people would be upset that they might be the last in their family to get married, but I view it very differently. Plus, my sister is 11 years older than me and got married when I was in middle school, I didn't stand a chance at getting married first. But seriously, I got to watch my siblings fall in love with their other half, I got to watch them say their vows, and start a family. What I believe to be the best part though is that I get to be picky now. My sister's biggest thing she has told me after she got married, was to never settle. I have watched time and time again what amazing spouses my in laws are and I get to be picky, now that I know what it truly looks like, when I find who I'm going to marry.  

This is not to say that my siblings don't have amazing lives, because I'm sure they will argue that theirs is better. In my opinion, I would no longer say I'm lucky, I would say I am extremely blessed.

P.S. I promise Swiger's aren't this competitive! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment