Wednesday, January 15, 2014

New Years Resolution

I've never been one to do new years resolutions. Simply because most the time I know I won't fulfill them. Like working out, maybe I'll go jogging through the neighborhood once or time, or even go lifts some weights at the gym, but nothing consistent or that actually is going to help me. Another reason they are not my forte, I find it absolutely ridiculous that this one day out of 365 days in the year can cause people to alter their lives dramatically. Now don't get me wrong, it is so great that people want to get healthy, or spend more time with family, or whatever crazy commitment they decide. But what I don't understand is that it has to be on this day. Why can't we do this onAugust 5th? (I only say this because it's my birthday haha) I've been told that it takes about 7 weeks to form a habit, which would mean that people would have to stick out their resolution until at least the end of February to have any hope at all. And by this time most people's change is long gone. The other half of this saying is that it only takes 7 days to break a habit. Which means that that if you happen to succeed in lasting the two months of forming this resolution, and you go on vacation for a week, it could all be blown to shreds. How encouraging is that?!

Sorry for being such a Debbie Downer about this and this is about to sound extremely hypocritical, but this year, against all odds, I've decided to give it a shot. 

I want to start writing more. My dad is an incredible writer and my sister even used to have a blog. I've just started an internship at an amazing company for the semester and right now there is a lot of down time. With this time on my hands, I've been reading a lot of blogs! They are mostly of friends and family's that just wanna keep up with how their kids are doing and what new exciting adventure they're going on. And then I've stumbled on my really inspiring ones that were written by complete strangers. 

My sister and her husband are currently fostering two of the cutest and sweetest little girls and my sister posted a link on her Facebook to a blog entitled "The Sovereignty of God in Foster Care." I read this blog and it nearly brought me to tears. It talked all about how hard it was to foster sweet children knowing that they might not be in your care for much longer. It explained how even though, in their minds, they were the best home for the kids, God can work in the worst situation and we never know what he can do. Ultimately, foster parents are not the children's only hope. This was perfect for my sister. The sweet girls we have loved from the moment we met them might not be with them for much longer, even though we pray they will stay with us forever, it is not our decision. Anyways, reading this blog brought comfort to my sister. The girls' mother was not a believer and she always was worrying that the girls would never truly know Christ if they went back to their mother. This blog post reminded all of us that God has a plan for those adorable girls, whether it was with my family or not. 

I'm not by any means saying that my blog is going to help anyone come to great realizations like this, or that anyone's gonna read these at all. I'm not even saying that this will last longer than a month! But for now, this is helping me get down all my thoughts. (And waste some time at work) Maybe this will help me to remember these days in years to come when this blog is long dead and I happen to pull it back up. All I know is that I want to get all of this down somehow so that I can remember everything, take my own advice, keep up with friends and family, or maybe even brighten one person's day. 

So let's see how this goes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment