Thursday, April 10, 2014

10 Signs That I Come From A Big Family

I grew up in a big family. HA massive... and it's growing by the minute. Most people I tell that I have 17 people in my immediate family (this is including in-laws and children) don't believe me. No, we don't have our own TV show. No, we don't all have names that start with J (we do have two Meredith's though). And no, we don't wear long jean skirts.... that's a strong no. We are normal. HA okay maybe not normal, but we are at least not totally wacko. 

Anyways, apparently today is National Sibling Day and well, as I have told you before, I have the best. And while I would not change my family for anything, it has some side effects. Apparently, I have some interesting characteristics that point to the fact that I come from a big family, so I thought I would share some with you!

10 signs that I come from a big family:

1. I love kids. All kids. All ages. And this isn't the type where they are fun to hold or play with but when they poop or scream you hand them back over. Nope, it doesn't bother me. I have absolutely no problem changing a poopy diaper. I like trying to soothe a baby. HECK, I don't even care when my nephews wake me up at 6:30am on a Saturday. I just love those little ones so much.

2. Hand-me-down clothes don't bother me. Sure, I went through a period of middle school and part of high school that I thought it was just so uncool! But, those were my clothes growing up. I have two older sisters and I had whatever they got. Now, I get excited if someone gives me hand-me-downs. UM free clothes people!!! I'll take what I want and give whatever I don't want to someone else.

3. Chaos doesn't bother me. Actually, I work better when it's crazy. When there are a million people running around doing a million different things. Yup, it just works better for me. That's how it was in my house growing up and that's just what I'm used to. 

4. Silence makes me go insane. I have learned this thanks to my new job. HOLY... just no. I need noise. This office is silent. Like so quiet I can hear the person on the other side of the building typing... Sometimes I just have to put my head phones on and blast music cause I just can't take it. This is also why I don't study well in the library. I have to talk to someone while I study and apparently that is frowned upon in the library. Mehh.. 

5. Everyone, somehow, knows my family. Or at least knows of my family. I thought this was just true when I was in Greenville. HA nope. It applies to Clemson and Charlotte so far as well. It's ridiculous, honestly. Somehow, most everyone has some crazy connection to my family and would just love to tell me how. Maybe it's a small world, or maybe my family is just huge. 

6. I can sleep through ANYTHING. I'm not talking about the TV or talking. I'm talking about earthquakes (in case you were wondering, yes, I have) and screaming and dogs barking and banging. I just don't wake up. If I didn't have this trait, I'm not sure that I would have gotten any sleep growing up. There was always something going on, whether it was brothers screaming or my dad banging the hammer at ungodly hours of the morning. 

7. I talk loud. I don't mean to, it's just how I talk. I think it has something to do with the fact that I have to talk loud around my house just to get a word it. If I was quiet, everyone else would just talk over me. So, I talk loud so that I'm heard.

8. I will eat just about anything. I'm not a picky eater. I will eat whatever is on my plate, even if I don't like it. That's because if I didn't like whatever my mom cooked for dinner growing up, I had two options. Either, I fixed myself dinner, OR I just didn't eat. And let's be real, I am entirely too lazy to fix myself dinner. So I ate whatever and complained about it.... but I still ate it. 

9. I have more respect for my parents than most teenagers have for theirs. I don't come from a wealthy family, but my parents NEVER failed to provided what we needed and more. They dealt with six crazy kids, which I knew could not have been easy. I don't know how they have done what they have, but it's impressive.

10. Family is everything to me. I know that my family is in it for the long run. We rely on each other. We love each other unconditional. They aren't people that just happen to be related to me, they are everything to me. 

Well, there ya have it. I'm not like normal people, I'm weird. But if you didn't know that by now, you must not know me at all. There have been a few times that I had wished I was an only child, but I promise you, it takes a special kind of person to be from a family this big....
** you can interpret "special" how ever you may like**

No comments:

Post a Comment